Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A food tour in Quito, Ecuador, summer of 2012. Part I: A family owned bakery

As I've mentioned before, I try to arrange a food tour and cooking class whenever I travel. This was tough for Quito - the food culture isn't quite as deep as in other countries. There is no Noshwalks equivalent in Quito! But some enterprising outfits, including Viatour and Urban Adventures, will create a custom tour for a client, and that's what Urban Adventures (which is based in Australia) did for me, using Viatour as the intermediary. It's not as complicated as it sounds, but the only glitch was that I didn't get a voucher and meeting place until the absolutely last minute - and it came through on the free Internet in my hotel in Quito. VERY frustrating. My guide was a man named Santiago, and I could still kick myself for failing to take even one photo of him, because he took me to lots of great places. In this post, I will show photos of the family bakery he took me to. We arrived early in the morning, when much baking was still going on. The bakery is in the shadow of Quito's Modern Art Museum and close to its amazing basilica. This was my 2nd full day in Quito and I didn't realize at that point that it wasn't too far from where I was staying in Quito's Old City. Here are some pictures. One of the products is a sweet quesadilla - completely different from quesadillas of Mexico, which are savories made with tortillas and from Salvadoran quesadillas, which are a like cornbread made with sweetened ricotta.

No comments: